If you are the Linux server administrator, you should know some major command from Linux.
Today, Mick Genie will show you some command that normally used by the Administrator.
1. wget – Retrieving a Software Package.
– wget is the most command use command to retrieve or get a software package or download tool from Linux Command, you can easily get the package downloaded through wget command.
Eg. wget http://www.mickgenie.com/mickgenie.tar.gz
2. top – Monitoring Server Processes.
– With a top command, you could easily understand the server processes and it’s performance as it collected almost all of the information from the server processes.
3. tail – Reviewing Log File.
– When you checking the server log, you might want to get the real-time log information instead of open all of the file as sometimes it is large enough to and waste your memory and time to open the file. Using tail command could allow you check real-time log information.
Eg. tail -f /var/log/messages
4. scp – secure copy from Linux command.
– scp is the command use to secure copy from Shell SSH login credential that used with secure connection instead of clear text FTP.
Eg. scp mickgenie.tar.gz [email protected]:/home/mickgenie/
5. find – find text in the file
– Find command is the useful command to file or folder as it could allow you to gather the information from file.
Eg. find . -type f -name ‘error_log’
6. tar – backup command.
tar is useful when you could backup all of your file to compress your file to lower capacity and it is used to save the space used from your server.
Eg. tar -zcvf mickgenie.tar.gz mickgenie
7. history – view your command history
sometimes it is very useful when you could like to check back the command you have done earlier, by using history command, you are allowed to get all of your command done earlier.
8. mkdir – create directory tree
With any platform, by using mkdir command, you are allowed to create directory.
Eg. mkdir -p /home/mickgenie/temp
9. ln – symbolic link
With symbolic link, you are able to create a redirect link to view the physical folder instead of getting the actual folder.
Eg. ln -S /home/mickgenie/public_html www
10. mount – mounting command.
With mount command, you may mount any of your external Hdd to your server.
Eg. mount /dev/sdc /folder