OpenDNS is widely used by the Internet user as it do come with some security protection and many more.
With Microsoft Windows 7, you may easily setup your Internet DNS with OpenDNS.
Use the following step to get your OpenDNS setting up.
1. Open your Control Panel and look for Network. Click on “Network and Sharing Center”.
2. You shall see the active network as above where Mick Genie using bogo as the network SSID and you may click on the Connections where I am using Wireless Network now.
3. Click on the Properties button.
4. Double click on the “Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IP4)”.
5. Select “Use the following DNS server addresses:”.
6. Insert the IP as below,
Sometimes, you may get these error when you try to restart your Apache services.
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs
The reason is the Apache still caching/running some active Apache processes although the services is stopped and the port 80 still binded to Apache processes.
To find out the actual processes that binded to these port 80, you may use command as below to find out the binded process ID.
fuser -n tcp 80
Once you get a list of process, you may need to kill them through their PID.
kill -9 PID
iptables used to setup, maintain and inspect the tables of IP packet filter rules through Linux Kernel. You can modify or manage the rules through the command from console or SSH.
To list the IPs that is being blocked, you may run the command as below.
iptables -L -n
You will get the list of the IP that is being listed from the Iptables Kernel rules as command above.
To block an IP using iptables,
iptables -D INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -j DROP
where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the actual IP
Continue reading iptables handy guide
To manually open a port, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click My Network Places.
- Under Network Tasks, click View Network Connections. (Or, right-click My Network Places on the desktop, and then click Properties.)
- Right-click the connection that you use for the Internet, and then click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings.
Note If the Settings button is unavailable, ICF is not enabled on this connection, and you do not have to open any ports (because they are all already open).
Continue reading How to manually open ports in Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP