Many user who using IIS7 as the web services and found out the SEF(Search Engine Friendly aka Permalink or URL rewrite) is not working in Joomla.
With Joomla implementation, it is using the rewrite rules to perform the Search Engine Friendly to be worked. Hence you either need the URL rewrite configuration installed or APE(Apache emulator) to done it.
Although the easiest way is using Ape(Apache emulator) to done it by installing Ape to your IIS7, however some module might not really working well from Ape to IIS7 and Mick Genie will not teach how to install Ape to your IIS7, however you may install it through URL as below.
Download here: http://www.iis.net/community/default.aspx?tabid=34&g=6&i=1938
Today, Mick Genie will teach you how to use Microsoft URL Rewrite tool where free to download from Microsoft IIS site.
1. Firstly download the Microsoft URL Rewrite tool.
2. Edit or create a web.config file from the Joomla application folder.
This article is applicable for WordPress user who used IIS7.x as their web services and not able to work correctly with the permalink.
1. Log into your WordPress. Select on Setting and click on Permalink Settings.
2. Select any of the Common Setting or Custom Structure.
3. Click Update Permalink Structure button.
4. Now, you will see your blog get 404 error when click on any post or pages. No worry, refer to the following step to get this fix.
5. Log into your DotNetPanel file manager or FTP, modify the web.config file from your root folder (probably wwwroot folder) and add the following code to the web.config file.