Although Redmine do provide the installation guide as URL as below, however it might not work if you are using cPanel.
With this article, you may get a complete guide to install Redmine to cPanel server with Ruby on Rails running.
– Ruby On Rails 1.8.x enabled, please downgrade to 1.8.x if your are running higher than that. To check the Ruby version, type “ruby -v” from shell.
– Shell Access(SSH) enabled
– MySQL Enabled
1. Install gem rails version 2.3.5(exact version), from SSH shell, run “gem install rails -v=2.3.5”.
2. Install gem rack version 1.0.1(or higher version), from SSH shell, run “gem install rack”.
3. Install gem rubygems 1.3.1(or higher version), from SSH shell, run “rubygems-update”. If it is not working, refer to http://www.mickgenie.com/how-to-update-rubygems/.
4. Create MySQL database from your cPanel and I assume that you are using the database as detail below.
Database Name: mickgenie_redmine
1. Log into the cPanel, click on Ruby On Rails.
2. In the App Name, enter Redmine, environment session select Production and create the App.
3. Click on Create Rewrite button and enter the subdomain or path that needed, then save it.
4. Download Redmine from RubyForce.
5. Upload through File Manager according to the path that you created from the Ruby On Rails.
6. Extract the file to the RoR Apps.
7. Log into the SSH, run “rake gems:install” from the Ruby Apps path, for more information, please refer to URL at here.
8. Rename the in config/database.yml.example to config/database.yml.
9. Open the database.yml file and look for the production section.
10. Modify the production section as detail below.
(These information is create as above).
11. Run “rake generate_session_store” to create session store secret.
12. Next, run “RAILS_ENV=production rake db:migrate” to get the database structure.
13. Then you may run “RAILS_ENV=production rake redmine:load_default_data” to get the default data.
14. You have done the installation, just go to cPanel and start the mongrel.
You may now log into Redmine with detail below,
For Redmine 1.4, please refer to the URL as below,