With Windows Server 2008, the server firewall setting will be very different with Windows Server 2003 or earlier version.
As many people do not know how to enable or disable some port or IP as Windows Server 2008 do come with Windows Firewall with advance setting. You may actually run the following command from your command prompt.
1. Open command prompt (cmd).
2. Enter the following command,
netsh firewall set icmpsetting 8
Otherwise, you may use the following step.
1. Open Run command.
2. Run firewall.cpl and enter.
3. Select with Windows Firewall with additional security.
4. Enable “file and printer sharing (ICMP requestv4)”
Additional note, you may disable it by typing the following line.
netsh firewall set icmpsetting 8 disable