This article used to guide you on how to generate CSR(Certificate Signing Request) key from IIS7.
1. Select Start -> Administrative Tools -> Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager or run from Windows Run with command “inetmgr”.
2. In the IIS Manager, choose your server name.
3. In your Middle panel, select Server Certificate.
4. Select on the “Create Certificate Request option” in the right panel.
5. In the Wizard, enter your information like image above.
6. Next, remain the service provider and change the bit length to at least 2048. You are advise to select 2048 and above for better security.
7. Save your certificate.
If you are using Windows Server 2008 R2 and IIS 7.x plus FTP 7.x. You might facing a problem like can not add virtual directory for website or FTP in your WebSitePanel.
To overcome this problem,
1. Download Patches file from below,
MS IIS 7.x and FTP 7.x issues on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, here.
WebsitePanel Server 1.1.0 (Win2K8 R2 SP1 Fix).zip, here.
2. Backup the WebSitePanel Server’s bin folder.
3. Extract file from Step 1.
4. Replace the bin folder from step 3.
To enable Failed-Request Tracing from IIS 7, you may follow here,
1. Launch IIS7 (inetmgr in Windows Run.)
2. In the connections pane, expand the machine name, expand Sites and click on your domain entry such as mickgenie.com.
3. In the action pane, click on Failed Request Tracing.
4. In the Edit Web Site Failed Request Tracing Setting,click on the Enable checkbox and press OK.
5. Now, go back to the site named mickgenie.com.
6. Click on the icon, Failed Request Tracing Rules.
7. In action pane, click Add.
8. In the Add Failed Request Tracing Rules wizard, select All content (*).
9. In the Define Trace Condition, define the status code such as 404.2, click Next.
10. Select the Provider, Verbosity and Areas then click Finish.
With ASP and ASP.Net script, IIS is configure to disable any error for security concern. If you are in development stage, you could enable them from your web.config file without access to the server/control panel.
By fault, if you hit any error from your ASP/ASP.Net script, you shall receive error 500 Internal Server Error.
First of all, you should enable detailed error from your web.config file. To do this, enter the following command,
<httpErrors errorMode=”Detailed” />
Now, detailed error is enabled but you will found out the ASP/ASP.Net is still showing Error 500, Internal Server Error.To fix it,
Find the system.web section or create it with,
<customErrors defaultRedirect=”errors.aspx” mode=”Off” />
Find the system.web section or create it with,
<asp scriptErrorSentToBrowser=”true” />
The RTR Frontpage Server Extension for IIS 7.5 is available to download from Run-to-Run Software. This Frontpage server extension do support for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Vista which using IIS 7.5.
To get it install, you may get it from IIS Community page,
RTR FrontPage Extension for IIS 7.5 – download
Although Microsoft FrontPage Server Extension (FPSE) 2002 will be discontinue by 18 December 2010 on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 RTM, but it is quite important for some web designer to design and publish their website.
To install Microsoft FrontPage Server Extension (FPSE) 2002 on your server with IIS 7.x, you may need to install the following Roles and Features.
- Web Server (IIS) Role Services:
- Web Server
- Common HTTP Features
- Static Content
- Default Document
- Directory Browsing
- HTTP Errors
- Application Development
- ISAPI Extensions
- ISAPI Filters
- Health and Diagnostics
- HTTP Logging
- Request Monitor
- Windows Authentication or Basic Authentication (See note 2)
- Request Filtering
- Static Content Compression
- Management Tools
- IIS Management Console
- IIS 6 Management Compatibility
- IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility
- Windows Process Activation Service
1. Next, you may download the Installer as URL below.
2. Then Install it to your server/computer.
3. You have done it. 🙂
If you read my earlier article here, you should know IIS got PHP Manager and it is now come with Stable version 1.0.
We should thank to RuslanY, who designed the IIS PHP Manager.
PHP Manager 1.0 can be used to:
- Register PHP with IIS;
- Validate and properly configure existing PHP installations;
- Run multiple PHP versions side by side on the same server and even within the same web site;
- Check PHP runtime configuration and environment (output of phpinfo() function);
- Configure various PHP settings;
- Enable or disable PHP extensions;
- Remotely manage PHP configuration in php.ini file.
With stable version of IIS PHP Manager, you are actually able to view the recommendations and fix it within a second.
Below is the bug fixed and change since BETA version.
- Support for running different PHP versions within the same web site;
- Functionality to set IIS default document to index.php;
- Links to quickly open php.ini file and PHP error log file;
- Detection of PHP registered via CGI or ISAPI;
- Detection of PHP that is registered by using command line arguments in IIS handler mapping.
Sometimes, when you reset the IIS (Internet Information Services), you might not able to fully start the services but getting the error that the service could not start in the time fashion.
Firstly you may try to restart the IIS from the command prompt as below,
If the above command not working, try this
net start w3csvc
net start msftpsvc
net start smtpsvc
Backup is very important especially for a productive server. We shall learned to backup everything to avoid any data missing.
For some reason, you might want to change the IIS 7 setting and do not want to mess up the setting in case you have modify any setting incorrectly.
To done this, simply run your command prompt with administrator privilege.
1. Navigate to your Windows button and right click to the command prompt then select on the “Run as administrator”.
2. Run the command line, “%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd add backup mickgenie” without quotation.
3. You should be found the folder C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\mickgenie\ and your configuration file is stored.
When you hosted your website with IIS7, you might want to list all of your file to let your user to download it.
By default, you will get the error as below.
To get this fixed, refer to the step as below.
1. Open your IIS7.
2. Browse to the website sites.
3. Click on the Directory Browsing.
4. Select on Enable and you should be able to list your file.